After using The Morning Sidekick Journal for 22 days I am seeing some pretty amazing results. So, of course, I wanted to share them with you today so you can start your new year off with some real wins!
Please Note: No one has asked me to do a review of this product, however, the links in this post are Amazon Affiliate links and if you use them I get a small bit of change for linking to Amazon so you can grab this cool little book if you want to try it out as I did.
Change your habits change your life
Seems simple doesn't it?
Most people find it hard to change bad habits and just as hard to commit to new good habits.
Many of us walk through life on autopilot unaware of just how much some of our bad habits impact our day-to-day lives. Do we realize how much our choices can rob us of our productivity, relationships, happiness and even our health? After working on my own bad habits for the past 22 days I can tell you that I bet most people have no idea how many little bad habits they have that massively impact their lives.
The Morning Sidekick Journal is helping me be more aware of my choices and more importantly, the impact of them.
Let me explain how this little book can change your life :)
Habits are patterns we repeat
We all have patterns of behaviour we've had for so long we hardly notice we have them. Some habits we repeat so often that they've formed deep grooves that guide our actions and choices and thinking, seemingly on autopilot.
It takes a certain level of awareness to identify our own “grooves” and the habits that run our lives. But with a little work and effort, I've come to discover that we absolutely can fill in the grooves of the habits that don't serve us and create new ones that do.
But this takes time, effort and commitment. That's where this book comes in handy –The Morning Sidekick Journal.
I'd like to have good habits on autopilot, wouldn't you?
Increase your awareness & mind your bad habits
I know I can watch too much Netflix from time to time and look at my cell phone too much and sometimes fritter my away an afternoon on nonsense but you will be surprised at what a stint of regular and mindful tracking can do for your awareness.
You might even be shocked.
I bought this book shortly before Christmas to help me reach goals for 2019. Through the use of this journal, I am becoming more mindful of my daily choices, thoughts and actions and how they impact my life.
The mindfulness component of this process is particularly enlightening and I think it's why I'm able to achieve such powerful results in a short time.
Benefits I am experiencing
- I am sleeping better
- I am making healthier food choices – I'll be honest I already make healthy food choices, but it's the eating habits of snacking when I'm stressed and snacking late in front of the TV and indulging perhaps in pasta more than I'd like. Mmmm pasta…
- I am stronger and more fit – I had let myself become quite sedentary working from home and this needed to change in a big way
- I am getting more things done in a day than I'd do in a week previously and
- I am removing piles of energy drainers that were suffocating me
- And I have less stress
This book isn't some miraculous cotton candy covered, wish-granting unicorn. You do have to do the work to see results, but the research that has gone into it sure seems to be helping me stay motivated and committed.
And it's hard to give up once you start to see the results of your efforts!
How The Morning Sidekick Journal Works
Here's how The Morning Sidekick Journal works. Acording to scientific research, it takes 66-days to solidify a new habit so that it's hard-wired into my brain. That's why there are 66 journal pages for you to fill out over 66-days. There is a 2-page spread for each day.
On the left side is your journal page and on the right, you will find, tips, advice, recommendations for reading, podcasts and case studies designed to help you stay committed to your goals.
I found these short readings quite helpful and interesting for example, I didn't know that according to research, you can benefit from a 20-minute nap even if you don't sleep!
Here's the breakdown of what you do each day in this journal
EACH MORNING YOU…
- Record when you got to bed last night and when you woke up this morning (keeps you mindful of your sleep habits)
- Write down the ONE thing you must do today (keeps you focused on your biggest value of the day)
- Write down one way that you can improve your life by 1% (What's one little thing you can do today that makes your life better? This reminds us that we have choices each day -what do you choose?)
- Declare a bedtime for *tonight* and rising time for *tomorrow* (again I think this wires in your commitment to yourself and consider what you really think you can do here to improve your sleep habits)
- Move on to the morning routine you listed out for yourself the night before :)
EACH EVENING YOU…
- Jot down a “Magical Moment” or moments you experienced that day (Love this. It's a bit of gratitude, bite-sized along with mindfulness strengthening)
- Circle some of the benefits you're starting to see (this appears after week 1 in the journal. 6-measures: Feel Happier, More Organized, Increased Productivity, More Energized and Reduced Stress
- List a few things you will commit to doing the next morning as your morning routine (there is space for up to 5 SMART goals)
What I've learned so far
- Getting up between 5 am & 6 am every day for the past 22-days has been a gamechanger for me. Writing down the next day's morning routine the night before somehow wires a commitment in my brain that gets me up and doing them!
- When I set boundaries for my own cell phone usage and TV time I am so much happier and far less stressed. And I grab my phone as a habit far more than I thought I did.
- This little tool has helped me see just how unproductive my days were before I started doing this. How much time I could waste with “busy” work. How much a lack of focus can literally rob you of your life.
- A lack of clarity can lead to procrastination and a waste of my time – when I have no tasks defined or planned I can drift and waste time not accomplish much -huge lightbulb moment for me
- When journaling is part of my morning or evening routine I learn faster and keep new habits easier and can stay away from the bad ones. A journal is particularly helpful if you don't accomplish all you set out to do in a day. Maybe you wake up late or miss your morning routine altogether. That's normal and a great opportunity to learn more about you.
- I make my morning routine goals high value for my mind because everything goes pearshaped from there if I'm not keeping a grip on that sucker – I ask myself what will take the most stress away from my life if I tackle it this morning? What will make this day amazing?
- If I don't make daily goals or tasks SMART I am mot productive at all. It's nuts how much this is true.
- Exercise has to be my one constant in every morning routine for me because if it's not, I'll be exercising at 10 pm if I get it in at all.
- Sticking to a morning and evening routine designed to help me be my best self feels very good. I love this feeling. I feel so accomplished before I even start my day.
- There are very noticeable benefits after just one day of using this journal.
- Now I've been doing this for 25 days (when I started the draft of this post it was 22) I am seeing some great health and fitness benefits that I wouldn't have believed could happen so quickly considering how poor my fitness and strength and flexibility was when I started. I've learned often we can talk ourselves out of uncomfortable things very easily with beliefs that simply are not true. I thought it would take far more time to actually see and feel the results of my fitness efforts. This has shown me that my assumptions can be very wrong and talk me out of good things for my life. I bet I'm not the only one who does this!
That's it! This is all I have to say right now and I am sure I'll have more learnings to share once I've completed the 66-days. The learnings keep pouring in for me each day.
I think The Morning Sidekick Journal does what it claims to do. If you stay
If you decide to try it or have tried it, I'd love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. Do you have any morning routines? What do you think about this idea? Please let me know.
For Life Coaching support that can help you define and reach personal goals with ongoing support, learnings and love head over here.
For Holistic Business Coaching that can help you achieve business goals in a way that works for your unique needs and who you are today, head over here.
If you found this content helpful, please subscribe to my email list. I'd be so honoured to have you.
Are you on Instagram? Follow me for quick messages of support and inspiration for that calm we all need in today's busy world.
You Might Also Like
- How to do less for success (another book review I think you'll love)
- Be happy and successful with the best planners